The first still from The Rover was released yesterday and film outlets were all a-buzz. Entertainment Weekly scooped an exclusive look at the still and caught up with David Michôd to talk about the film.
So what were folks saying after feasting their eyes on Eric & Rey? Here’s some excerpts of the commentary surrounding the exciting and gritty still. Click the links to read the entire article:
- WeGotThisCovered: Firstly, its director David Michod’s follow-up to the extremely successful and very well made Animal Kingdom, a film that I was really, really impressed by. Secondly, it stars two actors who are often overlooked: Robert Pattinson and Guy Pearce…The trio of Michod, Pattinson and Pearce is an extremely promising one and that first look photo above looks great, I can’t wait to see the two actors face off against each other. (Note: GREAT read and praise for the two leads, Pearce and Pattinson, in the full article)
- ThePlaylist: We gotta admit, we sort of forgot this one was happening, but we have to say, we’re glad it is…no word yet on a release date, but we’d wager 2014. Either way, we’ll be looking forward to it.
- RopeOfSilicon: Pearce Points Pistol at Pattinson in New Picture…”giving you a look at just how down in the dirt this pic is going to get.”
- Flix66: Obviously Robert Pattinson has annoyed a very dirty and hairy looking Guy Pearce in this photo, so it’ll be interesting to see how all of that plays out when this movie hits theaters.
- CinemaBlend: [Pattinson] followed up his heartthrob role with something deeply indie, and niche-shatteringly deranged. David Cronenberg’s Cosmopolis forced critics worn out by Twilight to reconsider Pattinson as he played a smarmy billionaire so numb he turns to self-destruction for salvation. And now, he’s gearing up for a different version of grittiness in David Michôd’s The Rover.
- TheFilmStage: After proving his acting chops in last year’s twisted, overlooked David Cronenberg-directed drama Cosmopolis, Robert Pattinson is returning in 2013 with another highly-anticipated project…
- FirstShowing: If seeing Robert Pattinson step outside his sparkly vampire self from The Twilight Saga for more serious dramas like Water for Elephants and Cosmopolis just didn’t sit right with you, then we have a new film that might work.
- MovieFone: Robert Pattinson’s latest bid to shed his “Twilight” reputation is the dystopian drama “The Rover,” and as you can see below, he’s taking quite a beating from Guy Pearce to prove he’s no longer Edward Cullen.
- EmpireOnline: Naturally, setting the film in the Australian desert and the future means inevitable comparisons to George Miller’s iconic franchise. “You put cars in the desert in Australia and people are going to think of Mad Max,” says Michôd. “And with all due respect to that film –and I stress that – I think The Rover is going to be way more chillingly authentic and menacing.” We believe him on both counts.
- JoBlo: “You put cars in the desert in Australia and people are going to think of Mad Max,” says Michôd. “And with all due respect to that film — and I stress that — I think The Rover is going to be way more chillingly authentic and menacing.” That’s a bold statement, but I can see it.
- Collider: Michod promises that The Rover is going to be “way more chillingly authentic and menacing” than those films. That’s some strong talk, but considering how great Animal Kingdom is, I’m inclined to take Michod’s word for it.
Awesome first pic for David Michôd's THE ROVER with Guy Pearce and Robert Pattinson http://t.co/zOYfSZEBZo
— cinemateaser (@cinemateaser) March 13, 2013
"The Rover" with Robert Pattinson is already looking pretty great. http://t.co/gfSRoAa1gc
— Kevin P. Sullivan (@KPSull) March 13, 2013
First still of Robert Pattinson and Guy Pearce in David Michod's "The Rover". Script is apparently ace! pic.twitter.com/xrxlYQ8Wxd
— moviehole.net (@Moviehole) March 13, 2013
— David Linde (@dtlinde) March 13, 2013
Digital Scan: Source